Wednesday, July 7, 2010

"Granola" Chews

I made a great new recipe last night! It is from my book, Breaking the Vicious Cycle by Elaine Gottschall.

They are called Granola Chews but there is NO granola in them, granola isn't even allowed on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet! :) Anyways, it was super simple & easy to make!

Granola Chews

1/4-1/3 cup butter
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup unsweetened, grated coconut
1 cup coarsely chopped nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts, or your choice)
1/2 teaspoon salt

In a saucepan, stir butter and honey over low heat until melted & blended.
Remove from heat & add remaining ingredients, combining well.
Spread mixture in an ungreased square 8 inch baking pan.
Bake at 350 degrees F for about 25 minutes until set. Cool, cut in squares.

*I used 5 tablespoons of butter, but next time would only do the 1/4 cup. I also used 1/3 cup honey, as that is what I thought the recipe said until I realized I couldn't read correctly. I've never been a huge honey fan so I left it at the 1/3 cup and it tastes great to me! I used walnuts. I probably used about 1.5 cups of coconut, first to soak up all the butter and second because I just love coconut! :) Mine is actually more like a "granola" because I didn't quite cook it long enough to set up to cut into bars, so it is a little crumbly.

It is a fun little recipe that will make a great snack and a great dessert that is safe to eat on my diet when I want something sweet! I hope you enjoy it if you try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment